5 Common Household Pet Dangers to Avoid

Mom, Son, Dog With Bone
 
Every year, our Sunset Veterinary Clinic team treats numerous pets who managed to get into something toxic. If you have fur babies, make sure to keep these 5 things far out of reach:
 

1. Chocolate

 
For humans, the darker the healthier—for pets, the exact opposite is true! Bakers chocolate, cocoa mulch and any chocolate at all can cause diarrhea, vomiting, heart palpitations, seizures and death in pets. Many pets are attracted to the smell of chocolate, so keep it out of reach and sniffing distance.
 

2. Sugar Free Gum (With Xylitol)

 
Very small amounts of xylitol, an artificial sweetener, can cause a rapid release of insulin in dogs & cats. This results in the development of dangerously low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia. This hypoglycemia can cause seizures and death. Xylitol is contained in many different foods including sugar-free gum, sports drinks, peanut butter, and the list goes on… So please read labels carefully and keep all human food out of your pets’ reach.
 

3. Pesticides & Weed Killers

 
Ingesting these can kill pets and people alike. Keep them out of reach at all times! Even your pet’s prescription flea and tick medications can be harmful if not applied correctly, or given in the wrong dose; follow your veterinarian’s recommendations to the letter.
 

4. Human Medications

 
Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, OTC cold medicines, vitamin pills, anti-cancer drugs, psychiatric medications and diet pills can kill your pet. Keep these safely locked away, and pick up any dropped pills immediately.
 

5. Chicken Bones

 
Do not cave in to the begging—leftover poultry bones can become brittle and shatter into sharp pieces in your pet’s mouth, causing oral lacerations, choking hazards and punctured internal organs!

In addition to these hazards, lots of houseplants, personal care items, cleaning supplies, small objects and toys can pose dangers for pets too. Be sure to educate yourself, keep a tight lid on the garbage can and store potentially hazardous items well out of reach. If you think your pet has ingested a harmful substance, contact our veterinarians immediately at (405) 844-2888.

Contact Info
2017 N Kelly Avenue Edmond, OK 73003
Monday – Friday
7:30 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM to 12 PM